ASAC Summer Counselor
Our camp consists of both overnight and day camp sessions for which we need passionate and responsible counselors. This position will serve to supervise campers, lead activities, be the eyes and ears of camp, and provide a healthy, safe, and enjoyable experience for campers.
Responsibilities and Tasks
* Under supervision of the director, counselors will develop and lead fun and engaging games, crafts, and activities for campers.
* Learn all camp educational and outdoor adventure activities, along with safety specifications for all.
* Mediate conflicts between campers and when necessary, consult supervisor for help.
* Manage transitions from one activity to the next to ensure timely arrival of your group and a consistent schedule.
* Assist with camp check in by greeting families, interpreting/taking registration forms, and distributing T-shirts/nametags. Be able to communicate with families in a friendly and helpful manner.
* Facilitate group activities with your campers during free periods.
* Drive minors in a 12-passenger van to various activities including trips to Spring Branch, Wimberley, and Gonzales, Texas.
* Spend the night with campers on occasion (1-2 nights/overnight camp), in a residence hall or at University Camp.
* Keep track of camper dietary restrictions and allergies and ensure proper snacks/meals are provided for each of your campers.
* Enforce camp behavior and safety rules with assistance from other staff.
* Communicate regularly with staff and teachers through e-mail, groupme, and phone calls.
* Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications - minimum
* At least 18 years of age
* Strong interpersonal skills and good work ethic
* Be comfortable working with children ages 9-16
* Have strong swimming skills and comfort in natural aquatic settings
* Demonstrate an aptitude for learning and teaching scientific concepts
* Demonstrate a commitment to safety and thoughtfulness
* Possess Texas driver’s license and have clean driving record
* Possess or be willing to obtain certification for first aid and CPR
* Must be able to pass a background check and complete child abuse and sexual misconduct prevention training
Qualifications – preferred
*Be working towards a degree in Biology, Recreation Administration, Therapeutic Recreation, Education, Social Work, or Outdoor Education.
*Possess lifeguard certification.
*Experience working as camp counselor or in a similar position
About the Camps
Since 1988, the Aquatic Science Adventure Camps at Texas State University have been the premier science summer camp in central Texas. With sessions available for children ages 9-16, they are designed to introduce campers to the amazing world of aquatic science through a holistic, inquiry-based learning environment. We strive to make sure the entire camp is an educational experience and even our fun and games are designed to get campers to think scientifically. Campers are encouraged to ask questions and given tools to investigate those questions for themselves.
Camps run from June to August, with training taking place in late May. Counselors need to be able to work outdoors for long hours in the heat and any other weather conditions that may occur. Need to be able to stand for long hours and hike up to 2 miles carrying a backpack.
Counselors will report to the Education Program Manager
This is a paid position. Pay is between $12 and $13 per hour depending on qualifications.
Apply on Handshake (job #6139799) or send a résumé and cover letter to:
Kellie Donajkowski – Education Program Manager
Edwards Aquifer Research and Data Center
220 E Sessom Dr. Freeman Aquatic Biology Building Texas State University
San Marcos, TX 78666